Friday, September 10, 2010

What the heck?

Not that I don't have enough to do today but I figured I would surprise J tonight with his fav ham & bean soup. One page of my recipe is missing (that's what I get for writing it on post-its) but I remembered the rest.

2 lg carrots (about 1 cup prepared), sliced 1/4" thick & then diced
2 medium potatoes, diced small like you're making a fine potato salad
2 stalks of celery, diced very fine
1 med. onion, diced fine (I use the mini-chopper for the celery & onion)
1 clove garlic, diced fine
1 tsp EVO
2 40oz cans of great northern beans
1 28-32oz container of chicken broth
1/2 to 1 lb diced, cooked ham
pepper to taste

I dice the celery & onion fine because I don't like chunks of either in my soup, you can cut however you like. Heat the EVO in a frying pan, add celery, onion & garlic, sautee lightly. I leave the carrots raw because I like to actually taste them in the soup, the original recipe had them sauteed with the other stuff which made it all taste like onion. Dump the beans in a big crockpot, add potatoes, carrots & sauteed mix, broth, ham, pepper. Set for 6-8 hrs and forget it. The potatoes are only there to turn to mush & thicken the soup, that's how you know when it's done. You might want to add a little salt but J doesn't add it to anything and I find the broth is pretty salty anyway. Great with some home baked bread but it's a meal all by itself on a cool day.


No comments: