Monday, December 13, 2010

Design Wall Monday

I haven’t done much sewing this week…you’d think for someone who hasn’t had any work for a month I’d be sewing away on Christmas projects but it’s got me depressed.  When I started this part-time gig they promised I’d have so much work I’d have to hire help…uhh, no.  It’s either 2 or 3 days in a row of steady sewing or absolutely zip for days (or weeks) on end.

Here’s what I do have in progress.  I found this flames fabric at goodwill, brand new, about 5 yards, for only $3.50!  I used flannel for the batting & I really like how much easier it is to FMQ, less bulk to wrestle through the machine.  I only have about 20 minutes work to go before I bind it…gotta finish it today.

DSCN1164

I got a bright idea (sarcasm…) to make another gift for 5 of the 7 kids on my list, personalized book bags for the library.  I have a ton of denim scraps & some leftovers from their quilts, haven’t started the bags themselves but I made their names with my Brother Applique Station thing I’ve had for years.  This isn’t much of an “embroidery” machine but I’ve used it for the same purpose for last minute birthday gifts for kids & they came out cute.  I used ultrex for most of the squares & I fuse some interfacing to the back to lock the stitches before trimming & appliqueing them to the finished item.

DSCN1165

I made a few extra with a Christmas theme for quickie ornaments/hostess gifts too.

Then I got caught up in this ornament thing with 9 million little scraps & straight pins.  I have to rip the ribbon off the bigger one, it came out looking really tacky…the tiny one isn’t going to work, the squares I started with were too large.  Probably won’t do many more of these, there’s enough on my list but it kept me entertained one afternoon while J was hunting, lol.

DSCN1166

I’m playing with Windows Live Writer for blogging…here goes my first upload, fingers crossed.  Thanks for visiting, stop by Judy’s blog to see more Design Wall Mondays from around the world!

4 comments:

Tamera said...

Looks like you've got lots of irons in the fire! All the projects are cute!

Chris said...

The bags sound like a great idea!! Too fun.

Quilter Kathy said...

Lots of great Christmasy projects on the go there...fun!

Gari in AL said...

Wow, you have been busy: great quilt and applique.